pablo

If you were to start re-reading the books and story all over again, what timeline would you start from??

1) Butlerian Jihad
2) House Trilogy
3) Dune (Classic novel #1)

Back to top »
boardadmin
Site Admin

pablo wrote:
If you were to start re-reading the books and story all over again, what timeline would you start from??

1) Butlerian Jihad
2) House Trilogy
3) Dune (Classic novel #1)

That'd be a good start...
http://www.dunenovels.com

Back to top »
Yugwen

I'd still stick with the original series first, then probably Butlerian Jihad, then House series. I guess the question is, does the story lose dramatic impact if we place ourselves outside the story and view it as on going tragedy instead of following Paul's path of discovery and uncovering the many layers of the Duniverse? The book's order can have a significant impact on the reader's point of view of course.

Back to top »
Theoberheim

If you were going to RE- read them, then I'd suggest chronological order according to the story line. that is, Legends, House, Original (with the inbetweenquels) followed by Hunters/Sandworms.

If anyone new to Dune asks the question, I would always say, start by reading the original six first!!!!!!! This cannot be overstated, READ THE ORIGINAL SIX FIRST!!!!!

Back to top »
DuneScholar

That's funny - there's another thread that's almost the same thing I just wrote on. If you are reading again then you can do it any way you want, since you know all the books already. Chronological order is tough tho - I just finished doing that and it was not smooth to get between the new ones and the old. But I say chronological in order of writing works great! Wink

Back to top »
Usal420

Theoberheim wrote:
If you were going to RE- read them, then I'd suggest chronological order according to the story line. that is, Legends, House, Original (with the inbetweenquels) followed by Hunters/Sandworms.

If anyone new to Dune asks the question, I would always say, start by reading the original six first!!!!!!! This cannot be overstated, READ THE ORIGINAL SIX FIRST!!!!!

Brilliant!!!

Back to top »
SparrowsOfDune

I still think the best order to read them in would be the order they were published.

Dune
DM
CoD
GEoD
Dune Enyclopedia
Heretics
ChapterHouse
Play Westwood's Dune I

After that I don't know. I haven't read any of the Ledgends series, but I didn't seem to need it for the House prelude series to make sense, so maybe the House Prequels next.

Back to top »

Jump to: